The superman is a great exercise you can do with no equipment that targets most of the muscles in the back. By incorporating the pull down element it recruits the lats.
By growing the lats you can get a wider look back, which in turn will create the look of a smaller waist.
Strengthening your back can be a great way to reduce lower back pain. The exercise also recruits from the glutes and hamstrings. Having strong glutes can also significantly help back pain.
How to do the Superman with Pulldowns
- Lie face down on an exercise mat or soft floor.
- Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing the mat.
- Gradually lift your legs and arms off the ground at the same time.
- Slowly bend your elbows to pull your arms down, contracting your lats as you go.
- Hold at the bottom for a moment. Your biceps should be just below shoulder height.
- Push your arms up towards your head.
- Once your arms are straight in front of you, return to the start position of being flat on the mat.
- Repeat for desired amount of reps.
In the upper body, this exercise uses the upper traps, the lats and the spinal erectors of the lower back. As for the lower body, they recruit from the glutes and hamstrings. However, the exercise is predominantly an upper body one – not full body.