The hammer curl is a great exercise to help build your biceps. The great thing about the hammer curl is that it targets the brachialis muscle as well as the bicep. This can really help with growing the size of your arms.
The resistance band version is a great alternative for beginners. It also is a great alternative for at home workouts.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Take a handle of the resistance band in each hand with your palms facing each other.
- Keeping your elbows tucked close to your body curl the band up to your shoulders. The movement should come from the elbow.
- Pause at the top to squeeze your biceps before lowering again.
- Repeat for desired sets and reps.
The hammer curl targets the long head of the bicep as well as the brachialis (an upper arm muscle) and the brachioradialis (which is a key forearm muscle). For this reason the hammer curl is a great exercise for building the arms.
There are multiple variations of the hammer curl, including using a dumbbell instead of a resistance band. You can also perform the exercise seated, or if using dumbbells you can alternate arms.